Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Feeeding Back

These are my reactions to some of my co-workers works:



RE: PHAT AS PHUCK

I found that within the 5.1 mix the drums were really a secondary thought. Although the horns are the feature of the band, including Tom the trumpet player who I've worked with in the past, it is important to have that backbeat pulsing. They themselves will admit that the drums are lost in the mix. The video could have used some enhancement, or possibly been rendered to black and white, as the room itself was not the most interesting in terms of set or lighting. The stereo mix I found a little to boomy, perhaps because of the sub's resonance in the room we were listening back to. The horns had lost a lot of their body, as many mixing engineers tend to drop that out. However, knowing horn players, the prefer not to have their horns sound like midi horns and prefer to keep the low mids natural. You can get the same punch with a boost in the highs if it is your goal to have them punch through. Despite these mixing issues I was very glad to hear the band in its new incarnation, as I had heard and played with its predecessor CTRL+ALT+DANCE in the past.

RE: 3 CARS BAND

I wasn't too thrilled with this band. Performing at CMW, they seemed to be pretty run of the mill standard funk rock. With a solo just a little bit too long for enjoyment. The mix was a good representation of the music, however it's too bad they gave such a good treatment to such an unoriginal band. It is strange to me that people can get into creating textures and writing songs that sound like those of hundreds and hundreds of others, not even attempting to push music further than it has before.

No comments:

Post a Comment