Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Ginger Grey

REPORTING: #EDWINPHENIX
LOCATION: MULTITRACK
PROJECT: GINGER GREY
DATE: 01/12/12

----

BEGIN: REPORT

Came up from my swampy Floridian abode to accompany Dan Duquette and Max in their recording session with the family band Ginger Grey. The old 90's chorus guitar sound was swelling out of the control room. She was singing and he was drumming.

The used two coles ribbons facing inwards to stereo mic the drums - closer together than I thought they should be, but when I asked why they said they were trying it out. Seems to me like they may have to deal with phase issues. They recorded vocals live off the floor with the SM7 then went back and redubbed them with the TLM103 - for added frequency response. Guitar amp was isolated by paneling and mic'd up with two 57's, one on center for brightness and one off axis for a more deadened sound.

The tracks we're sounding hot, as far as I could tell. I got the session files and went home to my backwoods Florida studio to mix.

----

END REPORT

No comments:

Post a Comment