Thursday, November 22, 2012

REPORTING FROM THE FOLEY ROOM

Agent #EDWINPHENIX Reporting

Location: Foley Studio

-------

Agents Dan and Nicole went into the studio this past Saturday to record Nicoles brothers band. They will be passing me the files to do a mix at my studio in the United States. I have trouble making amends with the fact that I am mixing a Canadian export, but they will bring in revenue to the States when they move here after becoming all-stars in America.

I will take their PTF Pro Tools 9 files and mix them in PTX. This will give me some extra tools to make it sound as true to their American rock and soul core as possible. They are looking to acheive a Pixies / Tame Impala sound. I'll throw some reverb on and try to get it to be as lo-fi as possible with some tape distortion and exciter processors, and as little compression as possible.

-------

Report back from the lab tests Tuesday. As much as I hate coming over the border to Canada to do these things, I came over to Ryerson and did some overdubs for "The Twilight Zone" with talent Kevin Kevin Konarzewski. I was rushed after being held up at customs and so forgot to check that the VU level was appropriate on his vocal, AND forgot to put EQ on his initial VO record channel and forgot to compress it AT ALL. Although his voice was recorded pretty evenly and didn't necessarily need compression, it could have been a bad thing if it had needed it. I did edit out some unrelated speech beforehand, and used his second playlist.

-------

#EDWINPHENIX Signing out.

22/11/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment