Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Another case of the Shakin' Natives


REPORTING: #EDWINPHENIX
LOCATION: #KEVINFEVER STUDIOS FLA
PROJECT: GINGER GREY
DATE: 25/12/12

----

BEGIN: REPORT

Brought the Shakin' Natives session files back home and started to work on them in Pro Tools. Agents Dan and Nicole had already started some basic compression and gating of the tracks, which was a nice and simple point to start working from. I tweaked some of the compression ratios, used some other compressors such as waves Vcomp and some VEQ's for different tracks. I decided to put some blanket overdrive on all the vocals, to give it that rugged lo-fi sound it needed. Dan later listened to the mix and thought they were a little too crunchy, but it was a good aesthetic. I used STOMP II plugin for this. I put a vintage filter on the drums - besides the kick - in order to get some fat and gritty sound. Also, I put a sub bass booster on the kick [Waves Rbass] to have a concentrated boost in the 80 Hz frequency. I parallel compressed the drums and kept the compression relatively low in the mix, because this sound shouldn't be too compressed, although a pop tune it is still pretty lo-fi. I think the result was a nice and punchy grunge sound, rather than a shimmery bright over produced sound which is not what I think the band is going for. I'd like to bring them down to my studio to redo some of the vocals in the future. I see some great potential in these young lads and would like to set them up with some other fitting acts to play some shows.


----

END REPORT

No comments:

Post a Comment